Tuesday 1 May 2012

Tuneful Tuesdays!

So yeah I'm ten minutes past 12 and therefore it's technically wednesday but whatevers. I can't miss tuneful tuesdays! Today I'm going to post something that I have always loved and it's from the classical side of the music I listen to. I was brought up on classical music (I don't think that's the right term because it's all so different anyway but I just go with it) and I used to be very ashamed that I loved it and knew nothing else. I completely by-passed the 90s music scene - while everyone was listening to the Spice Girls, I was listening to Tchaikovsky and others.

But now I don't care about that anymore - if people are going to judge me then they're obviously not my true friends and not worth the time of day. I always try to encourage people to listen to 'classical' music because I think that it makes you feel something - it's not about words, it's just pure emotion and it can just tap into you in a way that more modern music can't (for me anyway). It's not elitist and it's not boring - it's beautiful if you listen to the right stuff.

Anyway, I bring you something from the Finnish composer Sibelius. He's somewhat of a Finnish hero since he is the only famous composer to come from there and he wrote a piece of music to his homeland, which is called Finlandia. He's not a Classical composer, more of a Romantic one (there are four categories - Baroque, think Handel, Classical, think Mozart, Romantic, think Debussy and Modern, Stravinsky).  I suggest you all check Finlandia out if you want something shorter to listen to, but what I'm going to choose for today is one of the best pieces of music of all time - his fifth symphony. I really do urge you to listen to the whole thing. I'm not going to tell you what it's about, or give some kind of musical criticism because that's not really that important - as I said it's about emotion and stuff. If you want to listen to the whole thing on youtube then you have to click and load each movement - it's a shame but it's worth it. It's also on spotify and iTunes (though obvs you have to pay for it) where you would not get the breaks.


No comments:

Post a Comment