Sunday 29 April 2012

Getting up

Anyone who knows me, knows that you generally won't see me before 11, or even 12pm since I sleep lots and feel like I need about 10 hours. It's an unfortunate trait that I received from my father, who can sleep through screaming alarms. My sister used to punch my mother every morning in thanks for waking her up for school. My mother dealt with this by grabbing the duvet and running away. I can honestly say that I have never punched anyone for trying to wake me up but I am extremely grumpy in the morning and can't stand any cheeriness. I have become well known for this issue and am laughed at constantly by my mother, boyfriend and friends.

I really do want to break this habit - it's not a serious one like an addiction or anything, but I feel like I am losing a lot of my life by just sleeping all the time. I have tried to break it several times but it doesn't help at uni when lectures start at 12 or 1 and you don't have much structure to your day. Next year I'm starting a PGCE and will be teaching in primary schools so I will have to be getting up at 7 (if not 6) everyday. But I don't want it to be the huge, cruel shock that I feel like it's going to be and have been looking up tips on how to get up, which I am going to attempt in the next few weeks. So here are the ways that I am going to tackle this thing:

1) My alarm will be across the room (I tried this once and I just jumped straight back into bed, but still).

2) A glass of water by said alarm to drink (apparently it makes you feel more awake).

3) Wind down in the evenings by turning off all electronic stuff half an hour before bed.

4) Try going to sleep earlier (maybe 11/half 11).

5) Getting up at a consistent time every day, regardless of whether it's the weekend.

6) This is the last one - I will have a to-do list of things so that I HAVE to get up and do them during the day.

With the last one in mind, I made my own to do list, based on this tutorial here, I didn't have a ruler and I made mine on paper, but I kinda stuck to the picture, rather than following the tutorial:



Sorry for the poor quality - I've only got my iPhone camera at the moment. I can't afford a new camera at the mo and my last one died a while ago! The good quality photos on here come from the boyfriend's DSLR. Anyways, how do you get up in the morning? I'll be posting pics from my weekend soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment