Tuesday 24 April 2012

Tuneful Tuesdays

I was in Oxford at the weekend, visiting the lovely boyfriend. We did a lot of drinking, hanging out and watching Game of Thrones and Mad Men. Mad Men is literally the best thing on TV right now - everyone should watch it!! I have more issues with Game of Thrones than the boyfriend does, at least in the last season, but this season is actually going pretty well so far. We also went out for dinner last night at a pub called The Red Lion, near the station, which does good mojitos and good food.

Anyway, this week, music wise, I'm going for an old American favourite by the name of Bruce Springsteen, but I didn't want to one of the songs everyone knows - like Born to Run, so I've decided on a  track from his new album. The whole album is pretty great (me and the boy are obsessed at the moment) but I thought I'd go with Jack of All Trades, which is a bit melancholic but then Bruce does tend to go from being proud of being American (with Born in the USA) to criticism of the USA. It's a weird dichotomy that seems to exist in America - patriotism mixed with frustration or maybe that's just me being judgemental or whatever? The English are much more cynical, sure you get patriots but generally we like to moan about everything, which means that patriotism is less of a trait.

I also find it interesting that Americans see the road and driving as being synonymous with freedom (like in Born to Run for example, sticking with the Springsteen theme) because it's such a huge country so you can just drive and drive. Here in England you are always surrounded by people, towns, houses etc, so it's not really a thing. Enough of my rambling though, I'm sure I'm the only one who finds it interesting! Here is the track:



I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment